As the leaves begin to turn color and Halloween nears, we know the holiday season is around the corner. Before you know it, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas will be upon us…and, for many of us, this means house guests. If you are lucky enough to be living in one of The Overlook homes in Lower Gwynedd Pa or about to move in, then you’ll likely be able to designate one of your 3+ bedrooms for guest accommodation. Having house guests can bring so much joy and love into your home but – who are we kidding – it also brings a little extra work.
In order to make the most of your time with your visitors, here are 8 easy tips to help you prepare for their arrival, make your guests feel welcome and share your space harmoniously:
- Before they arrive, determine which space will be theirs and clean it! Ensure the linens are fresh, surfaces dusted and clutter removed or put away.
- Speaking of linens, splurge on high quality sheet sets. After a long day of travel or sight-seeing, nothing beats a good night’s sleep in a well-made bed. A layered bed, with sheets, duvets and spare blankets offers guests the most flexibility in terms of their body temperature and general comfort. Stick to neutral colors vs. patterns. They create a more soothing aesthetic.
- Provide a variety of extra pillows. You never know how many a person requires nor their pillow “height” preferences.
- Provide basic necessities for their stay. No need to break the bank on luxurious self-care products but provide tooth paste and soap at a bare minimum.
- Bring out your best bath towels and facecloths for them. Plush, white towels definitely add a hotel/spa-like feel to the guest experience.
- Depending on the independence of your guests, you may want to leave some notes for them regarding basic household logistics (keys, codes etc.) in the event you aren’t guiding them around town so they can come and go as they please. Other helpful instructions could be jotted down as well and might include WIFI passwords, TV, speaker operations, location of hair dryer etc.
- Consider providing some extra ‘essentials’ like a waste basket, some empty drawers or closet space, additional toiletries like cleansers or shaving cream, an alarm clock, kettle, phone charger etc. These extra touches will speak volumes- they will know they are welcome.
- Provide an assortment of snacks. When someone arrives, they may be too tentative to ask for food so create a small “help yourself’ basket or jar of items for their room. This could be cookies, chips, some water etc. They will know these were intended just for them after a hectic day of travel!
With a small amount of effort and warm intentions, your home can be guest-ready. The holiday season is about friends and family coming together. If you can open your doors to them, your life will be that much fuller!
Reach out to your W.B. Homes trusted new home advisor, Donna for additional information on the intimate neighborhood of 17 carriage homes at the Overlook at Gwynedd.